One would think that past two days of 95+ degree weather would keep me inside glued to the keyboard writing posts. Not so much. The past 48 hours have brought a few handfuls of transfer news, a couple commitments and some coaching movement. Heres what you missed:
VCU has already snatched up their third commitment of the 2012 class. They added wing Jordan Burgess, the brother of current Ram Bradford Burgess on Tuesday night.
Burgess joined center Justin Tuoyo and forward Mo Alie-Cox as the third cog in VCU’s Class of 2012.
This afternoon, another 2012 player popped in the form of point guard Jordan Roper (Irmo HS, SC) to Clemson. Roper chose Clemson over VCU, Tulane and UNC-Asheville. Roper cited proximity to home and Clemson’s status of playing against elite competition as reasons for why he chose the South Carolina school.
Roper doesn’t have the greatest ESPN rating nor does he have an impressive offer or interest list according to major recruiting services so I’m questioning this usage of a scholarship by Clemson head coach Brad Brownell.
Roper joins forward Jason Blossomgame as the second player to commit to Clemson in the Class of 2012.
If you haven’t heard by now, Arizona transfer Lamont “MoMo” Jones chose Iona over Hofstra and Seton Hall yesterday.
Jones originally decided to transfer from Arizona because he wanted to be closer to his ailing grandmother, located in Harlem, New York. Jones visited Seton Hall and Iona but had yet to take his scheduled visit to Hofstra.
While some people, especially Seton Hall fans, are questioning why Iona beat out Seton Hall for Jones’ services, its important to note that his visit to Seton Hall was not reported until he was spotted on campus by John Lopiano of The Setonian and SouthOrangeJuice.com — the visit was not meant to be publicly known. Does that mean Seton Hall never offered the point guard? Unlikely, but it deserves some thought.
What is certain is Iona’s potential next season. The Gaels were one game from making the NCAA Tournament this past campaign and return virtually everyone of note, including stars Scott Machado and Mike Glover. If Jones is granted a hardship waiver which would make him eligible to play this fall, Iona is a preseason dark horse Sweet 16 pick – at least for me. Without the waiver, they are still a clear favorite to be the MAAC’s auto-bid to the NCAA Tournament. Further, Iona’s challenging non-conference schedule could warrant an at-large bid if they perform well enough.
- Kansas transfer Royce Woolridge is considering Washington State and Pepperdine – he will decide tomorrow.
- Washington State transfer Dre Winston has transferred to Portland State. He will sit out the 2011-12 season.
- Ole Miss tight end Z. Mason will transfer to Chattanooga to play basketball. The 6’6 Mason will have three years of eligibility remaining and can play immediately.
- Missouri guard Ricky Kreklow is transferring after one season as a Tiger.
- Louisville’s George Goode just chose Missouri over Kansas State and Morehead State. He will have one year of eligibility remaining — he graduated from Louisville and is using the NCAA’s graduate program transfer policy to receive one year of eligibility at another school that has his graduate’s program.
- Penn State coach Patrick Chambers added Navy assistant Eugene Burroughs to his staff today. Here is my take: Chambers adds Navy Assistant Burroughs
- New George Washington coach Mike Lonergan has hired Pete Strickland and Kevin Sutton as assistant coaches.
- Rick Pitino is pushing Louisville assistant Walter McCarty for the Boston University coaching vacancy.
- Doug West is set to return to the Villanova staff as an assistant. He left the staff last June.
- Silvey Dominguez was named as an assistant coach at Air Force on Tuesday.
- Xavier hired Kareem Richardson as an assistant today.
- UNLV decommit Grandy Glaze (2011) just committed to St. Louis.
- The NCAA approved a Missouri vs. Missouri Southern exhibition game on October 30th to benefit the victims of the Joplin, Missouri tornado — GREAT stuff.
I will publish a post of a long list of recruiting updates sometime tomorrow.
Tags: Air Force Arizona Boston University Chattanooga Clemson George Washington Hofstra Iona Jordan Burgess Jordan Roper Kansas Kansas State Lamont Jones Louisville Missouri Missouri Southern Morehead State Navy Penn State Pepperdine Portland State Seton Hall St. Louis Tulane UNC-Asheville UNLV VCU Villanova Washington State Xavier